Tuesday, September 8, 2009

The typical Generation Y, college-age female

1. I get most of my entertainment and information from the Internet. My laptop is my home base. It’s where I keep all my music and a lot of my movies, and I use it to write papers for school, catch up on news, watch TV on the Internet, read blogs, use Facebook, and watch videos on YouTube.

2. This is related to the first point, but it’s so prevalent that it needs its own paragraph – my generation procrastinates, a lot. This is because we’re addicted to getting instant gratification, and it’s a lot easier to do that by enjoying some YouTube videos than it is completing a ten-page paper for school. There’s so much cool technology to feed our ADD that we can’t help but to be constantly distracted.

3. I like indie music, and I think a lot of other people do too, given the recent popularity and proliferation of days-long music festivals like SXSW, Coachella, Bonnaroo, ACL, and Lollapalooza. I like indie music because it’s so varied – while the Top 40 usually solely consists of pop and hip hop, indie music can be pop, dance, rap, electronic, instrumental, you name it.

4. Speaking of “indieness,” there’s a group of young, educated, usually white people of my generation who are commonly known as “hipsters” and worship everything indie. They wear American Apparel, Converse, and thick-rimmed glasses, are sometimes vegan, and turn up their noses at everything mainstream. There’s definitely a very strong market of young people who are constantly striving to be “hip” and “cool.”

5. I love movies, and I want to somehow be a part of making them one day. I like quiet, small films like Lost in Translation, foreign ones like Oldboy, and ones with great style and humor, like Kill Bill. I think films are fascinating because they create alternate realities, and if done well, they allow viewers to identify with fictional characters and in turn understand more about ourselves.

6. I’m somewhat interested in fashion. I have a subscription to Vogue, I watch Project Runway, and I read fashion blogs. About once a month, I get an itch to shop and buy about $50 worth of clothing or shoes, which isn’t too bad, right?

7. My generation is confident and independent. We think it’s really important to lead the life that we want, though this is manifested in different ways. Business students tend to be career-focused and sure-footed, while other, more liberal arts-y students give themselves time to explore their interests. Sometimes this is seen as having a lack of direction, though it’s just because we want to make sure that we find what really fulfills us.

8. My generation is fascinated with celebrity culture, as evidenced by all the tabloids, trashy TV shows (The Hills, anyone?), and blogs like Perez Hilton. I think it’s because it’s kind of comforting to see that the lives of people so wealthy and famous are often much more messed up than our own. We want to live vicariously through them, but we also, maybe wrongfully, revel in their personal failures because it makes our own problems seem a little more manageable.

9. One of the things I value most is creativity. It’s an interesting concept to explore because it’s so difficult to define and identify what it means. I don’t really consider myself creative, so I really admire those who are. I believe that creativity drives the progress of society, quite literally. Without new ideas, there’s really no evolution of society. In fact, I think it’s the most valuable thing that any educational system can teach – how to encourage children (who are already inherently curious and imaginative) to continue asking questions and think about their world in original ways.

10. We’re idealistic and interested our world. We want to save the environment, travel to foreign lands, and understand other cultures. As globalization continues, we are ever more connected, and we have almost boundless opportunities to learn new languages and be exposed to the unfamiliar and the exotic. We’re excited and ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment